Friday, February 6, 2015

A Workshopping I Will Go ...

I haven’t written any posts in a while. That’s because I’ve been working steadily on Book 1.5 and Book 2. I’ve also been preparing for my first writer’s workshop. Last year I regretted not going to two conferences/workshops that were in driving distance. So in 2015, I decided to take the plunge.

 
This weekend I’ll be attending the Tennessee Writer’s Workshop.  Dragoncon is a different animal. Yes, it has a writer’s track in it; and yes agents and editors come, but it’s more panel information. I’m really excited because I’ve never been to just a writer’s workshop or talked to an agent face to face. After the Tennessee Workshop, I’ll be going to Big Sur which is a three-day workshop in which they sit down and analyze at your work. I think both of these will be great for me.

Workshops can be expensive especially if you don’t live around a central hub like New York or California. In Georgia we get few conferences and those that are neighboring are a 4 to 6 hour drive. The biggest problem I’ve personally had is that many of the conferences feature agents that are into Southern/ Christian Romance or quirky light-hearted MG. THE MESSENGERS is Middle Grade Sci-Fi which is about as far as you can get from that.

 
I’m hoping to learn enough to make some changes and then maybe I can grab an agent that might be interested in a Sci-Fi version of ALEX RIDER or RANGER’S APPRENTICE. My writer’s group, betas, and other people who have assisted me think I may be close. But no matter what happens this year, I’m excited about writing and that my dear readers is the most important thing. :-)

If you’re looking for workshops in your area Vonna Carter has a great website with links to conferences. http://vonnacarter.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment